An extremely common question what role does a Scrum Master play. Answer is not as simple, a Scrum Master being a servant leader do have to serve scrum team, product owner and the organization. Instead of generalizing the role of a Scrum Master, read the specific role which a Scrum Master has to play –
For the Scrum Team:
● Coaching the team members in self-management and cross-functionality;
● Helping the Scrum Team focus on creating high-value Increments that meet the Definition of Done;
● Causing the removal of impediments to the Scrum Team’s progress
● Ensuring that all Scrum events take place and are positive, productive, and kept within the timebox.
For the Product Team:
● Helping find techniques for effective Product Goal definition and Product Backlog management;
● Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
● Helping establish empirical product planning for a complex environment;
● Facilitating stakeholder collaboration as requested or needed.
For the Organization:
● Leading, training, and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
● Planning and advising Scrum implementations within the organization;
● Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact an empirical approach for complex work;
● Removing barriers between stakeholders and Scrum Teams